Table of Contents
Electrophoresis MCQ questions can help students evaluate their knowledge of concepts in Electrophoresis technique. Answers are also given to help you remember MCQ on electrophoresis. Try our Electrophoresis MCQ questions to see if you can get all the answers right for the MCQ on electrophoresis questions below.
MCQ on electrophoresis
Electrophoresis is a technique used in laboratories to separate DNA, RNA, and protein molecules depending on their size and electrical charge. An electric current is utilised to drive molecules across a gel for separation. Try our MCQ on electrophoresis to see if you can get all the MCQ on electrophoresis answers right for the questions below.
1. Which technique separates charged particles using electric field?
c) Protein synthesis
d) Protein denaturing
2. Electrophoresis was developed by:
3. The speed of migration of ions in electric field depends upon?
a) Shape and size of molecule
b) Magnitude of charge and shape of molecule
c) Magnitude of charge shape and mass of molecule
d) Magnitude of charge and mass of molecule
4. Which of the following statements is true about migration of biomolecules?
a) The rate of migration is directly proportional to the resistance of medium
b) Rate of migration is directly proportional to current
c) Low voltage is used for separation of high mass molecules
d) Rate of migration is inversely proportional to current
5. What does the electrophoresis apparatus consist of?
a) Gel, buffer chamber and fire pack
b) Buffer chamber and electrophoresis unit
c) Electrophoresis unit and gel separator
d) Power pack and electrophoresis unit
6. If proteins are separated according electrophoretic mobility it is?
a) SDS PAGE
b) Affinity Electrophoresis
c) Electro focusing
d) Free flow electrophoresis
7. The electrophoretic mobility denoted as µ is mathematically expressed as:
8. Which of the following factors does not influence electrophoretic mobility?
a) Molecular weight
b) Shape of molecule
c) Size of molecule
d) Stereochemistry of molecule
9. When is electrophoresis not used?
a) Separation of proteins
b) Separation of amino acids
c) Separation of Lipids
d) Separation of nucleic acids
10. What cannot be a reason for using electrophoresis?
a) Comparing two sets of DNA
b) Organizing DNA by shape of backbone
c) Organizing DNA fragments from largest to smallest
d) Organizing DNA in order we can see
11. In a gel filtration column
a) Smaller proteins enter the beads more readily
b) Large proteins elute first
c) Both (1) and (2)
d) Large proteins enter the beads more readily
12. In a native PAGE, proteins are separated on the basis of
a) Net negative charge
b) Net charge and size
c) Net positive charges size
d) Net positive charge
13. Proteins are separated in an SDS-PAGE experiment on the basis of their
a) Positively charged side chains
b) Molecular weight
c) Negatively charged side chains
d) Different isoelectric points
14. In an SDS-PAGE
a) Proteins are denatured by the SDS
b) Proteins have the same charge-to-mass ratio
c) Smaller proteins migrate more rapidly through the gel
d) All of the above
15. Proteins can be visualized directly in gels by
a) Staining them with the dye
b) Using electron microscope only
c) Measuring their molecular weight
d) None of these
- Magnitude of charge and shape of molecule
- Rate of migration is directly proportional to current
- Power pack and electrophoresis unit
- SDS PAGE
- Shape of molecule
- Separation of Lipids
- Organizing DNA by shape of backbone
- Both (1) and (2)
- Net charge and size
- Molecular weight
- All of the above
- Staining them with the dye
We hope MCQ on electrophoresis principle, components, concepts, and applications are clear for now.