Types of Human Body Fluids

In this we briefly discuss about two types of fluids in human body. The types of human body fluids: 1. Intracellular Fluid 2. Extracellular Fluid.

1. Intracellular Fluid

Each cell’s fluid includes its own unique blend of elements, yet the quantities of these compounds are comparable from cell to cell. Cell fluid composition is extraordinary, even in various creatures ranging from microorganisms to humans. The intracellular fluid is rich in potassium, phosphate, and protein ions. It has a considerable amount of magnesium and sulphate ions. The intracellular fluid includes very little calcium ions and very little sodium and chloride ions.

Types of Human Body Fluids

Figure 1: Types of Human Body Fluids

2. Extracellular Fluid

Interstitial fluid: Fluid found in the intercellular gaps. It results from chemicals leaking from blood capillaries (the smallest type of blood vessel). It aids in delivering oxygen and nutrients to cells and removing waste from them.

Blood Plasma: Plasma is the blood’s liquid component. About 55 percent of human blood is plasma, with the remaining 45 percent made up of suspended red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Plasma is composed of about 92 percent water.

Lymph Plasma: Lymph is a fluid that is made up of the same things as blood plasma. It comes from the blood plasma as it flows through the capillary walls at the arterial end.

Cerebrospinal Fluid: It is present inside the ventricles of the brain, the central canal of the spinal cord and in the subarachnoid space around the brain and spinal cord.

Intraocular Fluid: This fluid is found in the eye ball, e.g., aqueous humour and vitreous humour. It’s made up of 99.9% water the other 0.1% consists of sugars, vitamins, proteins and other nutrients.

Serous Fluid: Intra pleural fluid, pericardial fluid and peritoneal fluid are examples of serous fluid. The serous fluid continuously lubricates the pleural surface and makes it easy for them to slide over each other during lung inflation and deflation.

Synovial Fluid: The thick fluid between your joints is called synovial fluid or joint fluid. The fluid cushions the ends of bones and reduces friction when you move your joints

Digestive Fluid: The liver makes bile, which is a digestive juice that helps break down fats and some vitamins. Bile ducts take bile from your liver to your gallbladder, where it can be stored, or to your small intestine, where it can be used.

Fluid in Urinary Tract: This fluid is present in the tract of excretory system. Urine, liquid or semisolid solution of metabolic wastes and certain other, often toxic, substances that the excretory organs withdraw from the circulatory fluids and expel from the body.

The extracellular fluid has a lot of sodium and chloride ions and a fair amount of bicarbonate ions. However, there are only small amounts of potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and organic acid ions.

Extracellular fluid is carefully controlled by a number of mechanisms, but the kidneys are the most important. This means that the cells are always bathed in a fluid with the right amount of electrolytes and nutrients for them to work properly.

It is a type of extracellular fluid that is unique. The amount of fluid between cells is not very much. Examples: cerebrospinal fluid, intraocular fluid, synovial fluid, etc.